[ORIGINAL] How To Enter The SGS&C Challenge
NEW: The 2018 Intent To Submit and Online Submission forms are now live! Please see below for details.
To qualify for The Challenge, game entries must:
- Have clearly defined, measurable learning objectives
- Provide players with a clearly identified challenge/problem
- Make use of gaming technology
- Provide players with positive/negative feedback with respect to progress toward the game’s challenge and achievement of learning objectives
- Be original games (as opposed to novel uses of existing games)
- NOT be modifications to existing games
- Be intended for an audience of 12 years of age (US 6th grade) or older.
- Windows (Windows 7 or higher)
- Apple iOS (version 10.x or higher)*
- Android phone (version 7.x or higher)*
- Android tablet (version 7.x or higher)*
- Nintendo 3DS
- HTC Vive
- Oculus Rift
- Windows Mixed Reality Devices
- Other platforms may be accommodated but these will fall under the rules as a special device. This means that the entrant should be prepared to provide at least one pre-loaded device for initial game evaluation, and up to ten total devices if the game should make finalist to support industry evaluation.
* SGS&C will accommodate mobile device platforms with at least 16 GB storage memory and 2 GB RAM or more.
Student Entry Requirements Clarification
Student entries are designed to recognize the work of actual students. Games developed by professional developers or faculty members at a university are not considered eligible to enter the student category. Student entries are expected to be created by students. The student team must be comprised of students that were enrolled in middle school, high school, college or trade‐school for majority of the development process. The team must not have employed professional developers who were not students. Faculty members can be advisers to student teams, but the bulk of the work must have been done by the students.
If your game was developed at a University (public or private) and was developed by a non-student team, your game is considered to qualify only as a Business Entry.
Before submitting your game, please read the 2018 Official Rules. The rules will help you understand what is required of entrants and the special guidelines for submissions to the XR (VR/AR/MR) and Students’ Choice categories.
Express your INTENT TO SUBMIT (NOW OPEN! Deadline: September 7, 2018):
NOTE: It is not required (but is highly recommended) to complete the INTENT TO SUBMIT FORM to apply for the Challenge.
- Complete the Online Intent to Submit form: The “Intent to Submit” (implemented through the web application SurveyMonkey) provides SGS&C with notice that you intend to submit a game to the Challenge. With this information, we can prepare the upload site for your game in advance so there is no delay in your ability to submit your game to the Challenge. Refer to the Sample Intent to Submit Form to gather the required information and develop your answers.
- After completing the Online Intent to Submit form, you will receive a confirmation email with details on how to upload your submittal package including the game, video, screenshots, high resolution logo, the Checklist, and signed Declaration Form to the SGS&C game upload site. Use the Checklist to make sure your game submission is completed. The Declaration Form releases your game for use in the Serious Games Showcase & Challenge. A signed copy (actual signature) must be included with your submission — a scanned copy is acceptable
SUBMIT YOUR GAME (NOW OPEN! Deadline of September 14, 2018):
- Complete the Online Submission form by September 14, 2018: Information from this form is used in the judging process to better understand what your game is about and for whom it is intended. Refer to the Instructions and the Sample Submission Form to gather the required information, and when you are ready, enter everything into the Online Submission form.
- Pay the Entry Fee (Business entries only): All Business entries must pay an Entry Fee of $250 to National Training and Simulation Association (NTSA). Government and student entries may submit for free. Please visit the I/ITSEC Serious Games Showcase & Challenge Entry Form to submit your Entry Fee.
Any questions about the forms or guidance needed on the submissions process can be directed to SGSChallenge@gmail.com.