The SGS&C Awards
This year’s 2022 Serious Game Showcase and Challenge Award Categories will be announced on April 1, 2022.
Below are the award categories for the 2021 Competition:
All games qualify for:
- Innovation Award – The Innovation Award aims to recognize innovation in serious games; that is, those games that exhibits a unique characteristic or technique. For purposes of the Challenge, innovation is defined as a characteristic or technique that enhances the serious game in a new or different way. The technique can be in terms of hardware integration, instructional design, game design, content topic or a combination thereof. The Innovation Award will be judged by and is awarded at the sole discretion of the Innovation Committee. Innovation finalists will showcase their game on the I/ITSEC conference exhibit floor. The winner will be announced at the Challenge Award Ceremony.
- People’s Choice Award – I/ITSEC attendees vote using ballots that are given out at registration. Each attendee votes and drops off their ballot at the Serious Games Showcase & Challenge booth on the tradeshow floor. Ballots are collected until the tradeshow floor closes on Wednesday night (the eve of awards day), after which they are tallied by the SGS&C IPT.
Each game will also qualify for one of the categories below:
- Best Game Business Category – The Business Category is historically the largest and most competitive. This award is judged by our esteemed panel of international evaluators. The winning game earns bragging rights as the Best Business Game.
- Best Game Student Category – You don’t have to be an athlete to compete intercollegiately. Go up against other top colleges and universities, and network with top-paying employers at I/ITSEC. This award is judged by our esteemed panel of international evaluators and comes with a high-value Grand Prize.
- Best Game Government Category – Who has the best game ideas: DoD or DHS? US or Australia? Government Category games must be funded or internally developed by non-academic government agencies. International federal, state, and local Governments vie for recognition as the Best Government game, as judged by our esteemed panel of international evaluators.
In addition, games may also qualify for:
- Best XR (VR/AR/MR) Category – “XR” is the new hip term that all of the cool kids are using to summarize the category of Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR) and Mixed Reality (MR). This award is judged by our esteemed panel of international evaluators and comes with a high-value Grand Prize.
Visit The Showcase section to see a listing of past finalists and winner.
Ready to Enter The Challenge?
Go to the How To Enter page to access the Intent to Submit and Submission Forms.
Also check out the FAQs for more information.