Description: The coordination of using a dental drill in the user’s right hand and a dental mirror in their left is a difficult to master technique. Even dental professionals have a difficult time with the technique after a week or more absence (such as a vacation). Dental Madness focuses on this technique for two of the exercises.
Skills and Ideas Taught: Dental Madness teaches the following skills:
- Coordination of dental drill (right hand) and dental mirror (left hand)
- Memorization of Universal Teeth numbers
- Identifying gum health, if gum disease is present
Goal or Challenge: The user is challenged with these tasks:
- Check three locations for gum disease
- Locate cavities
- Identify cavities location on the Universal Tooth Numbering Chart
- Drill instances of cavity decay
Primary Audience: First and second year dental students, average of age of 24.
Assessment Approach: The player’s learning is measured by their performance in the exercises. The game informs them if their work/guesses are incorrect and they have the chance to try again to correctly indicate the gum pocket depths, for example. Player’s have to learn the proper numbering of teeth to truly grasp and perform the techniques of Dental Madness.
Game Engine: Unity
Operating System: Windows 10
Special Hardware: HTC Vive, Vive Tracker and Polhemus 3Space Fastrak and Fastrak sensors attached to Dental Madness controllers, custom 3D printed components, custom Arduino device.